Carriage Repair Workshops, Hubli was established in 1885 under Southern Maharatta Railways for maintenance of Meter Gauge stock. In 1919, the workshop was brought under the control of Madras and Southern Maharatta Railways. Post independence, after the reorganization of Railways, Hubli workshops was brought under the control of Southern Railways in 1951. The workshop came under South Central Railway in Oct’1966 and under South Western Railways from April 2003.
The Gauge conversion from Meter Gauge to Broad Gauge was completed at a cost of Rs. 18 Crores during 1995-96. Hubli Workshops is now involved in POH/IOH/Refurbishment of BG Coaches, manufacture of bogie frames, BVZI Wagons and supplying wheel sets to C&W depots and Diesel Sheds.
Present activities of the workshop (Including RSP work)
The main activities of the workshop at the moment are as follows:
·Periodic Overhauling of all types of BG Coaches.
·Refurbishment of coaches.
·Intermediate Overhauling (IOH) of Bogies.
·Manufacturing of Bogie Frames of various types - ICF, Air Spring Suspension (ASR) and Hybrid.
·Manufacturing of other bogie components like Bolsters and LS Beams.
·Fabrication of BVZI Wagons.